Monday, May 30, 2011

Cement Mixer Putty Putty


I just found this great photo of my all time musical hero Slim Gaillard with a monkey.  Slim wasn't just the most talented musician ever invented (he could play several instruments to a virtuoso degree––including the piano which he sometimes played with his hands upside down––often during the same song) but he could speak eight languages in addition to inventing a language of his own called "Vout".  If you doubt these superlative accolades, you only need to watch his performance in one of my favorite movies 'Hellzapopin'.  There's an extraordinary clip here. One interesting fact is that both he and I appeared in the same film together back in the eighties, the abominable "Absolute Beginners" starring David Bowie and Patsy Kensit.  I was a mere uncredited extra.  Slim sang the song "Selling Out" with The Stargazers.

No comments: