Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vintage Rabbit Machine

Here's a strip that will run in October. The last panel took a bit of work. I spent a substantial (and probably unnecessary) amount of time researching old comic styles. Originally I wanted to do a Victorian political cartoon style but space restrictions and my lack of drawing skills made me turn to George Herriman's pre-Krazy Kat strip "Baron Bean". The mouse at the front of the animal line came out looking way too much like Ignatz, even though I wasn't trying. There is so much comicana (action lines, clouds, sweat beads, dotted eyesight lines) in those old comics. The minimalist influence of Peanuts did away with a lot of that. However, I miss the exaggerated body positions, Vaudevillian theatrics and detailed shading.

1 comment:

J. Lemon said...

Don't know if you can see it or not but Eightball has a Roman numeral on his chest.