Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rabbits Against Flat Cutouts

Today's strip is one of those rare instances where I coincide the theme with a holiday of sorts.  Typically I avoid all the religious holidays to focus on the quirky celebrations of tomfoolery (April 1st), mortality (Day of the Dead) and high seas shenanigans (Talk Like a Pirate Day).  Today marks the tenth Valentine's Day I've spent with my spousal unit.  maybe I'm getting slushy in my old age.

Today's delightful Google Doodle features a magic rabbit around about the 41 second mark.  The awesome artist responsible, Michael "Lippy" Lipman, created it in Flash.  Now that Adobe has started winding down the format in favor of HTML5 and Adobe Air I wonder if we will see the end of the golden era of computer generated animations as the tools become less accessible to creative people.  Anyway, happy Valentine's Day.

3 comments:

arcticcircle said...

Adobe is not going to give up that cash cow. They will find a way to export the flash movie into a a compatible format. For short animations (without movie clips), you can already do that by exporting as an animated gif.

J. Lemon said...

There's Adobe Edge... but Flash was such a nice little tool for non-techie types and it seemed to spawn its own genre. People like me spent a long time learning and mastering Flash. I don't know if I can face doing it all over again.

arcticcircle said...

I'm with you there.