Monday, May 2, 2011

Rabbits Against Fanboy Comic Strip Boards


I dropped into an art supply store in Santa Cruz last week and discovered these "comic strip boards" retailing at $8.50 (plus tax).  They don't work out economically only having 14 sheets (I get 40 strips out of a regular vellum Bristol pad for $7.75) and they have non-photo blue gridlines which are apparently "industry standard" but a cursory examination proves that only to be true 15 years ago.  I was shocked by the quite blatant Calvin and Hobbes rip-off on the cover.  It's clearly rotoscoped from an actual strip but they've switched Hobbes for a pink rabbit and given Calvin a red-striped shirt to avoid copyright infringement. Barely.

2 comments:

J. Lemon said...

LOL! I wish that were true.

arcticcircle said...

Plus they bleed like a stuck pig and they are called "Fanboy", which made me wince when I bought them (no more - I am using the far cheaper Canson Drawing 220 pad which does not bleed).

(Catching up on your posts)